Department of State Codes Division Southern Tier Regional Office Newsletter

Amanda's Law

For those of you that have not heard, Amanda’s law went into effect on February 22, 1010.

The law is named for 16-year-old Amanda Hansen of West Seneca, New York, who died on January 17, 2009, due to a carbon monoxide leak from a defective boiler while she was sleeping at a friend's house.

Basically, this law requires that all one and two family home and multiple dwellings have at least one CO detector installed. Generally, this detector must be on the lowest level of the home that contains a bedroom.

Under Amanda's Law, homes built before January 1, 2008, are permitted to have battery-powered CO alarms, while homes built after this date are required to have the alarms hard-wired into the building.

There have been question regarding where to install CO detectors - floor level of ceiling level? Since Carbon monoxide is almost the same density as air, and CO and air mix freely, it does not matter. (Unless the manufacturer’s instructions say different).

Also in question is the term sleeping unit. Some people are calling each bedroom a sleeping unit. That is not the case. The definition of a sleeping unit in the buildings code is:

SLEEPING UNIT. A room or space in which people sleep, which can also include permanent provisions for living, eating, and either sanitation or kitchen facilities but not both. Such rooms and spaces that are also part of a dwelling unit are not sleeping units.

CO detectors do not have to be put in each bedroom in a one or two family house.

 

 

Links to Amanda’s law.

 

"